Its been a busy few months, since coming back from JAB11.
- K2Joom had to be rebuilt due to a hack on our old hosting company and so we moved to Rochen, offical Joomla hosts.
- Several new partnerships were made on other Joomla products, which are working in the background.
- We launched the new K2 template manager extension, to help install K2 templates.
- Several new templates designs were made, but put on hold due to the immenant release of v2.5, which was delayed by many months.
- K2 finally launched K2 V2.5 for Joomla 1.5, 1.6, 1.7
- Joomlaworks launched the new offical K2 site, run on Joomla instead of Ning.
So whats next?
A new K2 site has been built and is in test for release before Christmas, its all a little top secret at the moment, so stay tuned.
K2Joom site is going to be rebuilt again, this time at our pace. The current site works, but could be better as it was kind of rushed at the time to get it back live after the hack.
The new site will be Joomla 1.7 and K2 V2.5.
We will be dropping Dioscouri Ambra Subs in favour of RS Memberships and dropping Dioscouri Billets in favour of RS Tickets as we have found RS to be much superior.
The Simon Says website simon.getk2.org is going to be closing, so we will move all K2 documents back to its home at K2Joom.
We will be improving the exisiting K2 template demo pages and make a few tweaks to the exisiting templates.
At this stage, we are looking to rebuild Rounded and Profiler to work fully in V2.5.
More focus is going to placed on providing K2 templates and extensions, with an improved partnership with our great friend Jiliko.net.
There are some exciting times ahead and we look forward to having you with us on this journey.
Its been a while since I wrote a blog post and since K2 V2.5 has finally been released for Joomla 1.7, I wanted to give some news on what is happening.
- K2 MultiNotify
We are in the process of updating this to be 2.5 compatible.
Once this has been tested and released, it will be made available in the Multi Notify subscription packages and a further blog announcement while be made.
- K2 Templates
New template releases have been slow specifically due to the immenant release of K2 V2.5, but due to delays in its release, I too have had to hold back on the development phases of some new templates.
There is a slight difference in the file structure on 2.5 and all files have additional code to make them Joomla 1.7 complaint.
Unfortunatley, templates made in 2.4.1 are not directly compatible to 2.5.
I am looking at converting the existing templates to beboth 2.4.1 and 2.5, but they may have to be two seperate versions.
2 New templates designs for 2.5 have been designed, coding is taking a little longer due to K2 support demands and the fact that there are now extra views that need to be styled. It takes almost as long to make a full K2 template as it does a Joomla template.
- A new K2 Template Manager has been released in conjunction with USJoomlaPros.
Thanks to them, they have taken my idea and coded this and now its available to purchase and download.
Again, this is currently on 2.4.1 ready, and 2.5 version is being investigated.
- Discussions with other developers have been made to promote and sell their plugins and extensions on K2Joom, so there could be more downloads available soon, including some free ones, as some developers are making K2 v2.4.1 versions obsolete< i would still like to see them made available.
If you have anything you wish to be promoted on K2Joom, then let me know.
- K2Joom is going to get another overhaul in the coming months.
It is hoped to become Joomla 1.7 and K2 2.5, but I am waiting on some essential components to be J1.7 ready.
The new site will be much cleaner in style, already have a template ready and we will be moving away from Ambra Subs and Billets in favour of RS Membership and RS Tickets. The support I have had from RS on a new site development has far exceeded the support received form Dioscouri.
There is also chance that Red Membership could be used too as it has some fantastic potential to be further expanded with Red List, but we will have to see what happens about some customisation that has been requested. Of all three, Red Coomponents is the only company that has shown interest in providing customisation. So they all have pros and cons.
- The biggest piece of news is still being kept under wraps, but within the next 2 weeks, something seriously new is going to happen.
Until then, you will just have to subscribe to this cateogry, so that you can be kept informed of what that might actually be.
Finally, K2 does have a new website at www.getk2.org and thankfully Joomlaworks has gotten away from Ning and produced a Joomla, K2 and Kunena based site. Congratualtions on the release.
I am also please to have been made part of the K2 site team, along with William White and Olivier from Jiliko.net, so we are continuing to support K2 Users on the forums.
Thats it for now, but stay in touch for more news soon.
Today sees the launch of an update to the popular K2 Template, K2Rounded.
In addition to a couple of fixes, several additional styles have been added and tweaked.
All pages have been updated with K2 V2.4 Code too.
A new demo area is now running with a generic template, Milkyway, which has been created to allows us to show a clear difference between our main site and demo content, plus it saves some valuable development time in trying to prevent unwanted over rides from happening, our other demo will be transferred shortly.
With this being the second release, there is now a new Change Log page.